Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Thursday, June 16, 2016

2 new anthology calls for submissions: Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 3 and The Big Book of Submission, Volume 2

These may not need a preface because they are very wordy as it is, but here goes: I chose to post these now, rather than waiting until a later date, even though it means anyone submitting now will have over a year to wait. I did that for my own sake so I am not racing around trying to meet an unmanageable deadline and to put some new calls into the world sooner rather than later. As you'll see below, if this is too long to wait, don't submit to these calls. If you have questions after reading both of them thoroughly, feel free to ask, but please honor your time and mine by not asking me anything that's already stated below.

I get more precise with each call based on things I see happening in the submission process. The truth is, I wasn't sure I would take on any more calls because I have a lot going on these days work wise and want to put every effort humanly possible into making the books I have out there now succeed, which can be hard to do when you are also in the midst of editing one, let alone two, anthologies. But I also know that part of my life's work is giving as many authors as possible a platform, which is why I've strongly encouraged authors new to the genre and those I've never worked with to submit. As for why there aren't bios on The Big Book of Submission, one word: space. Cost is the reason those authors will receive one contributor copy. And yes, I bolded my pet peeves.

I may very well tweak them slightly, as tends to happen, but I wanted to get the process started now. My goal is always to get my calls read by as many writers as possible and increase the pool of submissions, so I will be doing my own research and outreach to make sure these reach a wider audience than my past ones have. If you know of any websites, bulletin boards, groups or individual writers who might appreciate the calls, I would love if you passed them on. I often get writers telling me they heard about my calls right before the deadline, which is obviously less than ideal circumstances for writing, so I hope that this is seen with plenty of time to jog your creativity.

I welcome questions about these calls (though I cannot read any story drafts or comment on any specific plots or storylines, though I will answer specific content questions related to these guidelines if an element is unclear), and I also respect that these calls aren't for everyone. If these speak to you, good luck, and I look forward to reading your stories when it's time!

Lastly, if you submitted to Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 2, I'll be getting back to you by the end of June, so please be patient.



Call for Submissions
Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 3

Edited by Rachel Kramer Bussel
To be published by Cleis Press in December 2017

This anthology is open to women authors only, as the series has been since its inception (genderqueer and nonbinary authors are welcome to submit as well). I want your best, boldest, hottest, most creative and diverse 1,500-4,000 word erotica stories, written by and starring a wide range of women, from single to coupled, living in big cities and small towns anywhere in the world, of varying sexual orientations, races, ages (all characters must be 18+ for the entirety of the story) fetishes, jobs, interests and life experiences. I want fast-paced stories that grab me from the first word and don't let up on the heat until the final word. I want stories about women with sexual fantasies, fetishes and lives that are underrepresented in the erotica genre. I want stories that sizzle, push envelopes and surprise me. I don't want clichéd plotlines or generic characters.

Stories in the final book will range from humorous and playful to intense and soulful, and will reflect a similar sexual, racial and age diversity as the stories in Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 1. Story submissions must be unpublished (never published, in whole or in part, anywhere, online or offline). No scat or incest, although age play will be considered as long as it's clear in the context of the story that the characters are engaging in roleplay. No poetry will be considered.

I don't want to limit your creativity, because I want these stories to be as dazzling, varied, surprising and sexy as possible. I want your very best work, the kind that will make readers want to savor your story over and over again. Some things I'm looking to include in this volume: stories by authors who've never been published in the Best Women's Erotica series or are new to writing erotica, stories by authors based outside the United States (and stories set outside the United States), stories from the point of view of women of color, stories from the point of view of transgender women, stories featuring women in their forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties or nineties, romantic erotica (they don't necessarily need to have a traditional "happily ever after," but happy endings are extremely welcome too), stories involving more than two people, stories in unusual settings, erotica touching on current events (though the story should be one readers ten or twenty years from now will also appreciate), stories that touch on real-life issues affecting women, BDSM stories (especially ones with creative motivations and femdom stories, though I also want stories about outstanding submissive women), and creative fetishes. These suggestions are merely meant as springboards for your storytelling. All stories that meet the guidelines will be considered.

In a nutshell: I want stories that blow my mind, that grab my attention and don't let go, that say something new and exciting about sex and sexuality, that will appeal to longtime erotica readers and new readers. I gravitate toward unique, creative, memorable characters, settings and scenarios. I will consider sci fi, fantasy, paranormal and historical stories, although they will likely not comprise the majority of the book. For an idea of the types of stories I like, see Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 1.

In the interest of publishing a range of authors, those whose work appears in Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 1 or Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 2, will not be considered for this volume, but contributors to previous Best Women's Erotica collections are welcome to submit work.

Rights: non-exclusive right to publish your story in this anthology in print, ebook, and audiobook form. Authors will retain copyright to their stories.

How to submit: Submit only 1,500-4,000 original, unpublished stories that are not being considered elsewhere. Maximum two submissions per author. I want only original work that has never been published online or in print. All characters must be 18 or over for the entirety of the story. US grammar (double quotation marks around dialogue, etc.). Submit to bweoftheyear@gmail.com by attaching a Word .doc or .docx file, double spaced, Times New Roman Black font with legal name, pseudonym (if applicable), mailing address AND 50 word-or-under third person bio on the first page of your story above the title. Please make sure to double check the word count of your bio and only submit 50 words or less. Please make sure to use an email address you check frequently.

All stories must have a title and byline included with the submission (no untitled stories). Indent half an inch at the start of each paragraph. Use double spacing for the entire file; do not add extra lines between paragraphs or use any other irregular spacing. If you cannot use Word, submit as both an RTF AND include the full submission in the body of an email, including title, story text, bio, name and pseudonym (if applicable), and mailing address. DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE VERSIONS OF THE SAME STORY. SUBMIT YOUR STORY WITH THE TITLE, BYLINE AND WORDING YOU WOULD WANT PUBLISHED IF THE STORY IS ACCEPTED. MAKE SURE TO THOROUGHLY PROOFREAD YOUR STORY BEFORE SUBMITTING IT. Only stories that are between 1,500-4,000 words and submitted by December 1, 2016 will be considered. Please do not ask about exceptions to the word count or deadline as they will not be granted.

I will confirm that I have received your submission within 72 hours. I will respond to all submissions by September 30, 2017. If you have not heard back from me by October 1, 2017, feel free to follow up at that time. Please note the time frame and if you need a response sooner than September 30, 2017, this is not the right anthology for you.

Payment: $150 and 2 copies of the book within 90 days of publication

Deadline: December 1, 2016

Questions: Email bweoftheyear@gmail.com

Call for submissions
The Big Book of Submission Volume 2 (working title)

Edited by Rachel Kramer Bussel
To be published by Cleis Press in 2018
Please make sure to read and follow these guidelines in order for your work to be considered. Editor Rachel Kramer Bussel is looking for short erotica stories of 1,200 words or less focused on the theme of submission within BDSM. Stories submitted that are over 1,200 words will be rejected. While the word count is short, I want complex stories with a beginning, middle and end, not simply scene snippets.

I will consider stories from a dominant's perspective if that is the best way to illuminate the mindset of the submissive, but they must explore what the submissive gets out of the scenario in some way. The final book of 69 stories will contain an extremely wide variety of characters, POVs (I welcome first, second and third person stories), settings, scenarios, motivations, experience levels, motivations, BDSM practices (which can be combined with other sexual acts), fetishes, couplings, relationships, etc. I welcome the use of sex toys and BDSM implements, real or imagined. All genders and sexual orientations welcome.

All characters must be over 18 for the entirety of the story; no nonconsensual activity, scat, incest or bestiality. No poetry. Original, unpublished stories only. Stories from authors whose work I have not published before are especially welcome. See The Big Book of Submission to get a feel for the types of short submissive erotica I enjoy. Please note that this anthology will not include author bios.

Rights: non-exclusive right to publish your story in this anthology in print, ebook, and audiobook form. Authors will retain copyright to their stories.

How to submit: Send double spaced Times or Times New Roman 12 point black font Word document (.doc or .docx) with pages numbered OR RTF of 1,200 words maximum to bigbookofsubmission@gmail.com. Stories that are not in keeping with the theme of the anthology or are over 1,200 words will not be considered. DO NOT submit multiple versions of a single story; submit ONLY your final, complete, edited version of your story with the story title and byline you'd want published. Indent the first line of each paragraph half an inch and double space (regular double spacing, do not add extra lines between paragraphs or do any other irregular spacing). US grammar (double quotation marks around dialogue, etc.) required. I will consider a maximum of two stories per author. Include your legal name (and pseudonym if applicable), mailing address. If you are using a pseudonym, please provide your real name and pseudonym and make it clear which one you’d like to be credited as (such as Jane Doe, writing as Ann Smith). You will receive a confirmation within 72 hours. I will get back to you by September 30, 2017.

Payment: $25 and 1 copy of the book on publication in 2018

Deadline: January 10, 2017

Questions: Email bigbookofsubmission@gmail.com

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home