Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Friday, September 21, 2007

Sex (Writing) and Stage Fright

I wrote an essay called "Sex (Writing) and Stage Fright" at Booktour.com

You might think that after giving and organizing readings since 2001, I’d have the hang of it by now. While I can, indeed, get up before people and read my work, usually of the X-rated variety, I’ll never be a natural performer like some of my comedian friends, able to command any stage I stand on before I’ve even opened my mouth. If anything, my stage presence says, “Nervous girl. Let’s get this over with as quickly as possible.” I run a monthly erotic reading series, In The Flesh, in a cozy downtown New York bar where I bring people in to tell dirty stories, the kind that use words like “cock,” “cunt,” and “pussy.”

As much as I may advise them to be fearless and speak loud and proud, when I start to read one of my smutty tales, I often revert to my most petrified state. The setting for my series, a former massage parlor turned bar called Happy Ending, features plush red velvet banquets and very supportive crowd, but even there, I sometimes find myself faltering. It’s a challenge to really own the words on the page, to enunciate them as proudly and powerfully as when I write them. There’s a line I’ll read from my story “Like This” in my latest book Hide and Seek: 21 Tales of Exhibitionism & Voyeurism, that goes, “I know exactly how powerful my pussy is to him, and how hungry he is for it, and I will gladly open wide to offer myself as his own private sexual all-you-can-eat buffet.” I like how the words work in the story, but am sure my cheeks will turn bright red when I utter them aloud...

Keep reading (and if you're on Booktour and liked it, please click as much at the bottom, thanks!)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At September 22, 2007, Blogger Prathima said...

I have visited your blog ...
it is fantastic.. thank you !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home