Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Silly me

So...sometimes when I don't think I'm going to like something, I don't read an email or listen to a voicemail. I don't want to know, because I think I already do. It's a ridiculous bit of wishful thinking, as if by not looking/listening, I can make whatever it is go away. Yet sometimes these communications surprise me. I tend to focus so much on the flaws, or even when I'm reaching for the stars, don't think I'm going to succeed, that I forget that I'm just as likely to get a positive answer as a negative one. I'm also trying to remember something I know so well from the other side as an editor: You can't take rejections personally, because they're not. How many times have I had to reject an excellent story for reasons that have little to nothing to do with its content? Maybe there's not enough space, or I already have a similar topic, or for whatever reason, it just doesn't fit in that particular book. Of course. That's obvious, and yet when it's me, I think very dark thoughts. I let it pervade the rest of what I'm doing, rather than redoubling my efforts.

August is kicking off a fresh round of travel for me that will continue for the rest of the year. I've been looking into Dubai hotels and investigating fun things to do and story ideas. I'm trying to use what last year I thought was the worst thing ever, unemployment, as a way to expand the types of stories I can cover simply because I have the freedom to go anywhere I can get to by public transportation. Sometimes I just need reminders, little signs from the universe or whoever is in charge of these things, that if there's no good news, I have to make some. So with that, onto the making.