Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Theater-going in Seattle and New York

I don't have a giant Seattle agenda (I'm there June 24-27), because what I plan to do is plenty: walk half of the Seattle Rock N Roll Marathon (13 miles in 4 hours!), then go listen to Everclear, eat waffles at Sweet Iron Waffles, start the Clarion Write-a-Thon, see a matinee of Pilgrims Musa and Sheri in the New World at ACT, and make sure that Babeland is packed to the gills for my reading/free cupcake frenzy Monday night before I make a dramatic exit for the airport, take a redeye home, then fly to London the evening of June 30th. I pretty much want to hibernate for a few days as best I can. Too much time in NYC, at least, at this pace, makes me crave solitude, which is why I'm looking into writing retreats for 2012. And Iceland. But first, 3 weeks of extreme everything to get through.

to try to be at least marginally cultured, I am trying to go to events beyond my usual trivia or comedy. I don't go to many readings, because all my Jewish guilt comes to the fore and I am reminded that i should be writing (and, I know it's probably sacrilegious to say this, but I actually kindof prefer reading than being read to, but I like seeing my favorite authors, like Susie Bright, and will see someone like that multiple times).

Here's more on what I plan to see in Seattle:

When Musa, an Egyptian cab driver who’s been in America less than a year, falls for Sheri, a sassy American waitress, his life takes unexpected and delightfully complicated turns. This sexy, "very now" world premiere comedy by Seattle playwright Yussef El Guindi is full of unabashed sweetness and goofy charm, and reminds us that we are all “immigrants” with far more connecting than separating us.

Anyway, all that leading up to the fact that I bought a pass to Second Stage Theatre and unlike my PS 122 passport that I think I will now wind up only having used for the excellent John Kelly's The Escape Artist, I plan to see All New People (by Zach Braff).

I'd say I'll let you know how they are, but I'm more of a book reviewer, but thought I'd pass these descriptions on. If you want great culture reporting, visit Culturebot, and if you're in NYC, make sure to check out all the fabulous free art at the River to River Festival - lots going on! I found out recently I missed an exhibit by Kara Walker, whose work I like a lot, because I didn't know about it, so am trying to pay better attention, but am also determined to finish a big writing project by end of summer and various other tasks so am trying not to overbook myself as I tend to do. Priorities...not my strong suit, but I'm working on being the new, better me.

I like checking out shows in other cities; in London I think I will need all my money just to get through the day in that expensive city, but perhaps I will look into their offerings too.

Here's the plot of All New People:

It’s the dead of winter and the summer vacation getaway of Long Beach Island, New Jersey is desolate and blanketed in snow. Charlie is 35, heartbroken and just wants some time away from the rest of the world. The island ghost town seems to be the perfect escape until his solitude is interrupted by a motley parade of misfits who show up and change his plans. A hired beauty, the townie fireman, and an eccentric British real estate agent desperately trying to stay in the country suddenly find themselves tangled together in a beach house where the mood is anything but sunny.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home