Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Friday, September 05, 2008

Ellen Friedrichs on letting her daughter go naked

Ellen Friedrichs, who is one of my favorite people in the world (I’m a horrible friend cause I don’t even remember the last time I saw her, must fix ASAP), has a piece up on Babble about letting her daughter Clementine go naked. Read it!



Of course, I know for some parents the issue is decorum. I overheard one mom telling her three-year-old that she needed to wear a bathing suit “because of modesty.” And I do respect that in many cultures, nudity is just not seen as acceptable at any age. This thing is: in mine, it is.



It’s not that I’m a radical when it comes to parenting. Clem’s been vaccinated, nursed for only six months and drinks from sippy cups that I am sure leach BPA. But I am all for allowing her to drop her drawers whenever she likes.


I have this idea that the more I let her be naked now, the more accepting of her body she will be later. I don’t know that any studies would back me up. At this point, it’s just a hunch. And it’s a hope, grown out of a decade spent working with teenage girls who hate their bodies, that somehow my kid will be an exception.


But I’m not about to get into this when I am told by a stranger to dress her.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home