Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Monday, July 21, 2008

Vimeo's response and book trailer thoughts

So, I heard back from Vimeo. They wrote that I had violated their terms and conditions of use. I just looked this over, and no, I have not read the entire thing, but I am still a little unclear as to how I erred. Now, as we all know, I didn't graduate from law school, but I don't think I should need a law degree to figure this out. It's okay though. I am not sure I'll be making any more book trailers; it was a lot of fun, but, uh, I need my books to do a little better than they're doing in order to justify shelling out that kind of cash. But if I do, I'll probably just skip Vimeo and go right to the sites that I already use (I joined Tubemogul and Vimeo and Blip specifically to upload the trailer, while I've been using YouTube for a while.

The one thing I can think it might be is...(and if this is the case, it's my bad, I listened to my director on this point) we didn't get permission to use the music. Which I'm sure can be removed if need be. If that were the case, I can have my director recut it without the music. Anyway, like I said earlier, this is all a little indie publishing experiment to try to reach people who'd never think of picking up a book like Spanked, who've maybe never heard of erotica or read any. The predominant word I'm hearing to describe the trailer is "cute," and I like that, because, well, I hope I am cute. Not just in looks or whatever, but I hope I bring both a kinky sensibility and an a somewhat innocent or wholesome or at the very least not jaded perspective to all this. I totally think there is room for giggling, in sex, and spanking, and book trailer making. We did plenty of that during the shoot. Thanks again for all your comments and support about the trailer.

I've realized, too, that while one part of me is thinking, "How many books do I need to sell to make this worthwhile?" there are other reasons to make a book trailer. A woman I've published several times and have emailed with over the past few years wrote that this was the first time she'd heard my voice. Even if you have your photo on the back cover of a book, or write a blog, or are public in some way, readers don't really know you, know you. I'm not saying they "know" me by me talking for less than 90 seconds in a book trailer, but I hope I infused it with some of my personality. There could have been other, more XXX ways to go with it, too, but I'm really proud of what we came up with. I'm not a spanking model and don't want to be; I prefer to save the really intense moments for privacy, or at least, not to videotape them. So it's not meant to be an insider look at what it feels like to get spanked; that's what you get when you read the book! It's supposed to be a fun, inclusive, accessible, a little sexy, and sure, cute. So no, I'm not heartbroken over the loss of Vimeo. It's okay, I just wanted to know what the problem was, because I do have those oral sex books coming out in September. I'm not really sure if there's a way to do a "tame" oral sex book trailer. But I do see lots of possibilities for playing in the snow for Bedding Down, my winter erotica novella collection. Not to worry - I'm mulling over the possibilities, time and money and energy permitting.

Anyway, just fyi for those who've asked. Again, you can watch it on YouTube and on Blip (see below, and you are more than welcome to embed either on your own blog). And if you want a personally autographed copy of Spanked for $14 including shipping (U.S.), write to me at spankingantho at gmail.com - I take Paypal (I'll give you the address).



from Vimeo's Conditions and Terms of Use:

All rights to ownership or use not expressly stated herein are reserved by Connected Ventures and Connected Ventures disclaims any and all implied licenses. Without limiting the foregoing, you agree not to: (i) reverse engineer, decompile, reverse compile, translate, adapt, or disassemble or otherwise access or adapt the Vimeo Technology, or any part thereof; (ii) copy, distribute, display, transmit or reproduce the Vimeo Technology, or any part thereof, in any form, including, but not limited to, fonts, icons, link buttons, wallpaper, and unlicensed merchandise; (iii) publish, display, disclose, sell, rent, lease, modify, store, loan, distribute, publicly display or perform, co-brand, frame, permit third parties to link to, or create compilations or derivative works of the Vimeo Technology, or any part thereof, including, but not limited to, using any part of the Vimeo Technology to create fonts, icons, links, buttons, wallpaper and unlicensed merchandise; (iv) assign, sublicense, convey, transfer, pledge as security or otherwise encumber the rights and licenses granted hereunder; (v) use the Vimeo Technology in any fashion that may infringe any patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret or any other intellectual property or proprietary right of Connected Ventures, its affiliates, its third party suppliers or any other third party; (vi) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any material that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable; (vii) use Vimeo Technology to harm minors in any way; (viii) fraudulently impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity using Vimeo Technology; (ix) forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any content transmitted through the Vimeo Technology; (x) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any materials that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements); (xi) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation; (xii) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, adware or any other malicious computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment; (xiii) interfere with or disrupt the Vimeo Technology or servers or networks connected to the Vimeo Technology, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Vimeo Technology (including, but not limited, to the Website); and (xiv) "stalk" or otherwise harass another; or collect or store personal data about other users.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At July 22, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Vimeo but I noticed some people can post what they want and others get their clips removed. I did not see anything wrong with your clip.

 
At July 23, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely (and I am so not just saying this) think you're cute, Rachel. :)

I quite enjoyed the trailer -- and I'm glad you enjoyed making it!

Xoxo,
Emerald

 
At July 24, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

spatula?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home