Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Monday, May 05, 2008

Pre-order my grandfather's memoir



Please pre-order my grandfather Norman Bussel's memoir, My Private War: Liberated Body, Captive Mind: A WWII POW's Story. (Yes, I am aware that there are two semicolons in the title; personally, I hope that gets resolved because I think it looks a bit strange, but regardless, I'm so excited to read this book I've read in chapters via email in hardcover, and am on a personal campaign to get my grandfather blogging about veterans' issues, which are only going to get more timely the closer we get to November's presidential election.) It comes out from Pegasus Books in November. And you probably know this, but Amazon now offers 5% off across the board for any pre-ordered books (that's in addition to the usual discount they give). I'm going to be the guest blogger on MySpace Books for the week of May 19th and will be talking more about coming from a writing family (my uncle Bob Bussel is also a published author and my cousin Fred Abrahams has written extensively about human rights issues).



You can read an excerpt at Memoirville. Here's the start of the excerpt:

On April 29, 1944, my B-17 Bomber crew flew a fatal mission from Rattlesden, England to Berlin. Four members of our crew were killed that day. Six of us survived and became prisoners of war for a year.

I promised myself that if I were lucky enough to return home, I would write a detailed account of this calamitous event so that the families of those who were killed would know exactly what happened to their loved ones on that fateful day.

More than 60 years have now passed, but I have been unable to set forth a single word about that mission, although the minutiae are still as vivid in my mind as ever.


Keep reading

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 07, 2008, Blogger Stacie Joy said...

This is great, Rachel! What a long literary tradition from which you hail. Many congrats to your grandfather. He sounds like an amazing man.

 
At May 12, 2008, Blogger DavidI said...

I suggest you see if the nice folks at Pegasus (I'm doing a book with them too) will change the dust jacket.

While the barbed wire and GI with his M1 on guard is evocative, it does not reflect the content of B-17 crewman turned POW memoir.

A B-17 or too on the jacket could help sales. More people buy aircrew memoirs than PoW books.

That's free advice. and it is worth what you pay for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home