Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Sunday, February 10, 2008

nothing to say

I would write, but I truly have very little to say, at least here. I should be like everyone else and start a secret blog, but don't have the energy. That's me, lately - so little energy. New York, much as I love it, well, it may be time to think about living elsewhere. Of course, it would take me at least a year to clear out my apartment, and I don't know of any other city as good for the non-drivers, I just have been feeling a bit worn down by this city, by myself, lately. It seems like there are so many events one "has" to go to, and at a certain point, I kindof wonder why. I wonder if I'm contributing to that by trying to run events myself, if maybe it would be better to be a bit more of a hermit and less of a social butterfly. Or rather, not try to be a social butterfly when I just wind up having the same old conversations that really don't mean anything.

I know I need to just get through the next little while, and I'll be okay, but of late, the whole fake it till you make thing isn't really working. I'm supposed to go to my first speed dating event tomorrow - this Time Out New York thing - and I probably will, if I can find something suitable to wear, but in the state I've been in recently, I'm not sure how well I'd fare. At the same time, I do need to break out of my social shell, because much as I love my friends (and I do! I do!), I also know that it is so easy to get so insular here that you never wind up meeting people who might break you out of that. Things will get better, I know, and I got through a few big things this week, with more looming, I just feel really off. I spent almost all of yesterday on my couch, dozing off and on, trying to be awake, alert, productive, but sometimes I just get so overwhelmed by, well, life, and I wonder how other people do it, how I'm supposed to get out of my messes, literal and otherwise. And if I've learned anything, it's that if you can't see the outcome, you can't envision a solution. So I am trying, baby step by baby step, to envision a solution to, for lack of a better word, me. I must go try to find some clothing that I like and wash my hair cause I'm gonna try to get my photo taken. If I like how I look, you'll see them. If not, next time...

In any case, I am going to Miami soon, so if you know anyone there, tell them to come to this reading - I have eaten more cupcakes in the last two months, more sugar overall, than I care to contemplate. They do truly start to lose their charm when they're ubiquitous, so while I will be nibbling, I will mostly be trying to find people to foist the cupcakes I am staking out there on (I have plans to visit 5-6 bakeries while I'm in town). Hence, I will be bringing cupcakes to Books & Books. Join us:

Lip Service 5!
True stories out loud.

The hottest, funniest, saddest, most real show in South Florida.

Featuring:
Rachel Aranoff, Andrea Askowitz, Jennifer Bartman, Joe Clifford,
Jaquira Diaz, Malvina Feinswog, Lori LaMedica, Steve Moss, and
special guest: New York sex writer Rachel Kramer Bussel

Saturday, Feb. 23rd, 7 p.m.
@ Books & Books, 265 Aragon Avenue, Coral Gables, 33134.

Show is free. Wine bar and music in the courtyard after the show.
Don’t miss it.

Check out http://www.lipservicestories.com for submission deadlines
and to hear stories from Lip Services past.

5 Comments:

At February 10, 2008, Blogger Kim & Dic said...

Wow, enjoy Miami, that is certainly a break out from NYC...even in such a big city it is easy to get into a rut, whether it be with friends/work/ or just running in the same circles in general. I met some cool new people volunteering at NYCares, but I totally hear you about wanting to change up your life a bit!

Enjoy the sun!

 
At February 10, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you're feeling off. I hope you know how much it means to me to have had you at my event, even if I didn't get to hang out too much...

 
At February 10, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must object to this notion that you HAVE to go to every conceivable event. Sure there are personal and professional commitments. But if you need down time, then you need down time. There's nothing wrong with being a hermit. I spent much of the weekend in hermitage and it was fantastic. Then I got back into the world again. The only thing you can do is take things as you can take them and likewise give yourself enough fun time and alone time, when required. Take good care of yourself, Rachel. You deserve it!

Your pal,

Ed

 
At February 11, 2008, Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

Ditto your comment on secret blogs: too much effort.

By the way ... you said, "it may be time to think about living elsewhere." You better not leave this city!!!!

Good luck with the speed dating event. Sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. :)

 
At February 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from south Florida-- hope you have a blast!

My best friend (a former New Yorker) has lived in Chicago for almost 10 years without a car. I never thought she'd be able to stay away from NY for so long, but Chicago seems to have grown on her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home