Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Rave reviews for He's on Top and She's on Top from Jane's Guide

Thank you so much to Always Aroused Girl who was prepared to hate He's on Top...but didn't! Update: She also reviewed She's on Top and liked it. Yippee!

Check out her fabulous review of He's on Top:

What I appreciated throughout He’s On Top was the way each story demonstrated the dom’s desire to please his partner and his ability to listen closely to what she wanted, then give it to her creatively and sensually. Time after time I noted doms who put their own pleasure on hold in order to create the best possible experience for their lovers. Now that is truly sexy to me.

Here’s how I progressed through the book. I read the introduction and the first couple of stories. At that point I found myself turned-on enough that I had to take a break to masturbate. I came back to the book and read the next several stories. By then I was impressed enough to email a couple of my male friends who love the sound of leather on a bare female bottom; I recommended the book to them in the strongest possible terms. Once again returning to
He’s On Top, I worked my way through the rest of the stories, then immediately emailed Rachel Kramer Bussel, thanking her for sending me a copy and telling her how much I enjoyed the book.

Read the whole review

And She's on Top:

Rachel Kramer Bussel does an excellent job in selecting hot, unique stories with oomph. By “oomph,” I mean that these are the kinds of stories that you will remember after you finish reading them. You’ll remember them after you’ve removed your slippery fingers from your own personal panties (or shorts), put away your toys and gone back to your lives. These are sex-stories that you’ll keep thinking about long after the orgasm has passed...

My favorite story in the anthology is “Victoria’s Hand” by Lisette Ashton, wherein our narrator, a 19th-Century young lady, sets the ground rules for her betrothed while demanding his oral services. I’m wishing I’d done something like that before my own marriage. We could all learn something from young Victoria’s method.


Read the whole review

Also, I finally, after, like, years, managed to claim my blogs (this one and In The Flesh) on Technorati, which is how I found this review! I'm getting all technified, what with that and joining MyBlogLog and Eventful and Twitter. Actually, I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm learning very slowly.

And please keep checking out the Kinky Virtual Book Tour (though Katie Spades has apparently had health issues and I haven't heard back yet from them so her post is delayed), which has been a blast. More on that soon. And if you like the books, please let Amazon know. I want to be able to keep on editing kinky smut (and other kinds of smut too!) for many years to come so I'm doing a big push on these. It will make editing Yes, Sir and Yes, Ma'am all the more delicious too to know that I already have this audience (hopefully) who like this type of erotica. But things are looking good with these books and my mind is on the current projects on my plate while still overseeing these. I will be so excited next year when someone else gets to do most of the nitty gritty but then again, I'm a control freak so I kindof like it.

Actually, in another life, I would SO be a publicist, I love plotting and planning and researching publications and search engines and all of that, but...it's time consuming. You can easily get sucked into it and the fact of the matter is, publicity doesn't actually equal anything in terms of sales. It's not a direct correlation but I do believe their are dividends that come from publicity beyond simply sales. Getting the books mentioned in Willamette Week and The Oregonian and Portand Mercury is important because I don't live out there, I don't have a presence there, so it's a way to spread the word. All of this, however haphazardly or randomly or quirkily.

This virtual book tour/postcard promo/book party thing is my $1,500+ 100% amateur wtf experiment in book publicity, just to see. It was a real blow to have those three Fetish Chest books fail miserably on the market (they sold so poorly that Alyson cancelled our Second Skin anthology), but I'm pretty sure I know why (coughcoverartcough) but want to actually learn from my mistakes, not repeat them (and in that case I don't think it was my doing at all, but they are still my books). I think all of this will help going forward in figuring out who my audience for erotica is and who else is out there and what people are looking for from their kinky smut. At the same time, it's a different skill, a different muscle, than being creative. It's like a jigsaw puzzle or math problem, it's logic vs. intuition (there's still intuition in what I'm doing with this, but it's more administrative than the creative work). I've come to realize that I like a little of both. Sure, I like the creative end of editing anthologies, the awe at discovering a really killer story, and, when I'm on, the fiery rush of trying to type as fast as my brain is thinking, my fingers tripping over themselves in their haste, the words sprinting across the screen. I love that, but it's also ephemeral. More often the words are jogging, or speed walking, or maybe just crawling, limping along, slowly and not all that surely. I haven't yet figured out how to make them sprint on command.

But I also like the minutiae of pasting each author bio in, doing page counts, checking for typos and indents. It's a hell of a lot of work and sometimes I just can't deal but then I look at the pretty shiny books and how the whole is so much greater than the sum of their parts, and I know it's worth it. Same with the novel, it's bits and pieces that get interwoven into one grander story but I have to conceptualize the bits before I can even begin to contemplate the whole.

Also, found an old and super large photo of me on the Kinky Jews blog from last year's reading. A random tidbit, yes.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At May 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You won't hear back from Katie Spades either. Check this link and listen to podcast #25 http://www.beer.com/beer.com-Content_C-section_id-1142522267891_article.html

Katie admits that she isn't even into spanking and finds it 'foul'. Her whole goal was to manipulate the spanking world for her own financial gain. Bad choice to interview for the village voice, interviewing a spankee who isn't even in to spanking!!

She is an outrageous person who never made a dime from spanking, who is now trying to scam people with her 'save katie' page at katiespades.com where she is asking for over half a million in donations. Everything she has ever said was a lie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home