Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Please watch how Mike Daisey handled the walkout during his show

Please watch the walkout and destruction of his notes (by an audience member pouring his trademark glass of water all over the papers) of Mike Daisey's show Invincible Summer and even more importantly, how he handled it ("saying fuck is the least racy thing I do"). You also get to see a tiny bit at the start about "fucking Paris Hilton." You can read his take on what happened here. The video is embedded below but you can also leave a comment on YouTube.




Mike's words:

I sat behind the table, looking up in his face with shock. My job onstage is to be as open as possible, to weave the show without a script as it comes, and this leaves me very emotionally available--and vulnerable, if an audience chooses to abuse that trust. I doubt I will ever forget the look in his face as he defaced the only original of the handwritten show outline--it was a look of hatred, and disgust, and utter and consuming pride.

It is a face I have seen in Riefenstahl's work, and in my dreams, but never on another human face, never an arm's length from me--never directed at me, hating me, hating my words and the story that I've chosen to tell. That face is not Christian, by any definition Christ would be proud to call his own--its naked righteousness and contempt have nothing to do with the godhead, and everything to do with pathetic human pride at its very worst.

1 Comments:

At April 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never heard of Mike's work until this. This destructive act of "protest" or intimidation brought him to my attention. I hope the blowback continues to give Mike a wider audience! Thanks for the post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home