Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Friday, September 22, 2006

Murray Hill interview at Gothamist

I interviewed the incomparable Murray Hill today at Gothamist. His new show Murray Hill Live at the Sansabelt Room premieres tonight at Mo Pitkin's, so check it out:



Murray Hill can make even the most uptight New Yorker at least offer up a chuckle, if not an all-out belly laugh, with his well-honed ladies' man-about-town sthick. With his jocular, wink-wink style, he's never at a loss for words, whether working a raucous, drunken bingo crowd, prepping audiences for bands like Le Tigre, or hosting burlesque pagaents. Known for his anything-might-happen style, Murray can regularly be found emceeing his way across the city's stages, calling bingo numbers, and performing cabaret-style at venues like the late Fez, Galapagos, and, most recently, Mo Pitkin's. On the heels of The Murray Hill Show, the self-proclaimed "hardest working man in show business" is back to dazzle downtown with his comic crooning in Murray Hill Live at the Sansabelt Room along with sexy sidekick Dirty Martini and accompanied on piano by Lance Cruce. Here, he tells us where to find New York's best cheeseburger, why he loves stage banter, his dream venue, and why freaky New Yorkers should stick around and reclaim downtown.



Can you give me a basic biographical sketch of Murray Hill? When and where was he born? How did he come into being?

I was born in New York City, in the back of a cab on 23rd Street and 3rd Avenue, hence the nickname. I remember hearing the cabbie ask my father, “Is it a boy or a girl?” and he answered “No.” I think I knew right then and there, I was going to be special . . . if you know what I’m saying.



I was born into speakeasies, showgirls, steakhouses, and showbiz. My old man ran a supper club on 52nd street and my mom was a Zeigfeld girl. If I wasn’t at her Minksy’s burlesque show, I was bussing tables at my dad’s clubs. I met all the greats, and cleared their plates too. You name ‘em, I cleared ‘em⎯Dean Martin, Totie Fields, Judy Garland, Joe DiMaggio, Sinatra, Gleason. It was Gleason who was so bombed one night at Minksy’s that he couldn’t do the show, so my mom threw me into the spotlight, literally. I still have a scar on my knee. I went up there at 6, with a full suit, and sang a rousing “BINGO the Farmer” and killed. The rest is history.



Are you Murray 24/7? Can you remember a time before you were Murray?

I would say I’m a bit more 12/6 kinda guy! They don’t call me the “hardest working middle-aged man in showbusiness” for nothing. I love to work, I love the business, I can’t do anything else. I do have some down time every now and then. I went up to Kate Pierson’s of B52s’ Airstream motel in the Catskills this summer to relax with a lady friend. I also play ping pong and poker, and call bingo numbers every Monday night.


Read the whole interview

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home