Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Friday, June 16, 2006

Mommies and Daddies With Drinks

I've been fascinated by all things baby and mommy and daddy lately, like my friend's sonogram and taking my baby cousin to the park and pushing him on the swing. I'm especially intrigued by this slew of "Parents Who Drink" books. I'm looking forward to reading Robert Wilder's Daddy Needs a Drink: An Irreverent Look at Parenting From a Dad Who Truly Loves His Kids . . . Even When They're Driving Him Nuts basd on his Santa Fe Reader column Daddy Needs a Drink (see also www.daddyneedsadrink.com). I randomly found him on MySpace and will have a fun little Father's Day interview with him on Sunday on the cupcake blog. I wonder if publishers ever stop and say "I'm sorry, your subtitle is way too long. Please trim it down a little." or whether the art departments just consider it a challenge to fit that many words on the cover.

I'm new to his column but can already tell I'm going to like it. Here's just one very funny snippet from "Politipals:" (click here to read the rest of them)

“Did you know,” Emma asks Poppy, “that whoever wins the election gets their face on the hundred dollar bill? And the loser only gets a fifty.” Poppy nods, probably having heard that fact at the mini-voter registration booth under the monkey bars.

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard my daughter discussing her views on politics. After school one day, she dropped her book bag near the front door and sighed, “I can’t believe it.”

“What’s wrong?” I asked her, thinking she failed a math test, was excluded from some boy-girl chase game at recess or they tragically changed the lunch that day from pizza to Frito pie.

“Did you know that there is a third guy who may ruin Kerry’s chance of winning?” she asked, referring to Ralph Nader being added to the ballot in our very own swing state of New Mexico.

“Who told you that?” I asked, more than a bit surprised of her partisan awareness. When I has her age, I thought an election was something that boys had after watching Ginger vamp around on Gilligan’s Island.


He, along with Brett Paesel (Mommies Who Drink) and Stefanie Wilder-Taylor (Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay) are not just poking fun at the idea of parents soused on alcohol, but showing that parents don't have to lose their senses of humor, intelligence, or writing chops once they become parents.

Daddy Needs a Drink

Daddy Needs a Drink



Mommies Who Drink

Mommies Who Drink



Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay

Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home