Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Friday, October 17, 2014

Sex and Cupcakes, my debut essay collection, is out now!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't equally nervous and excited about the just-released ebook Sex & Cupcakes: A Collection of Juicy Essays, from Thought Catalog Books. It's out now on Kindle (only $4.99!) and coming soon to iBooks. It features some classic favorite essays and several newer ones that I believe collectively capture a bit of what I'm about, sexually, romantically and otherwise. There's even some writing tips thrown in. Yet now that it's actually for sale, now that I've sent it to several people and used all sorts of qualifiers because I'm so nervous about what they think, I realize how deeply personal the writing is. I knew it, of course, but I can sometimes dissociate from that aspect, almost forget about it, when I'm in the writing zone. I wrote some of these from wonderful places and some, like "Wearing My Tattooed Heart on My Sleeve," from darker, more painful places. The pain from my tattoo was nothing compared to the emotional pain leading up to it. So that's there too. It's a constant challenge, trying to get at our emotional truths, being as honest as possible while also protecting the people you love, or once loved, or may love. But I do know, as per The Four Agreements, that with this one, I did my best.

Sex&Cupcakes

The book got its first review from the wonderful Jenne at Clitical! She wrote a wonderful, thoughtful review, but I'll highlight one sentence that stands out the most, about the essay I am the most nervous about putting out into the world, "My Boyfriend's Fat." Jenne wrote:
What really struck a cord with me, was that it was obvious that these words were written from the heart.
Here's the thing: even when I am writing filthy erotica or personal essays about sex, those words are also written from the heart. I hope that is clear to everyone reading this book, but I've also had to accept that if it's not clear, that's okay, because it has to be. Jenne's review means a lot to me and I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home