Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Friday, January 14, 2011

Again, do it fucking anyway

I have some things I've written that, eh, I don't like that much, don't care about. They're fine, but that's it. But my motto for this year is the perfect is the enemy of the good, and if someone else wants to take a chance on my fine but not great writing, so be it. So it's funny when those are the pieces that wind up getting highlighted, again, like "Mother Knows Best" in Best Lesbian Romance 2011, the piece I stalled on and didn't finish or submit for the prior year.

From Donkeywork:

The economy with which these tales cover ground is one of BLR‘s chief pleasures. Rachel Kramer Bussel’s “Mother Knows Best” moves from a sitcom premise (a mortifying blind date set up by our protagonist’s mother) to seduction in a honky tonk bar, a jittery cab ride home (the honky tonk is in NYC) and fiery makeout session, culminating in a closing footnote(the two are now married and expecting!) in just eight pages. “Another first. I’d never brought a woman home before and not fucked her, but for some reason, with Tanya I was content to simply soak up her beauty.” The awww moment is girded, rather than undermined, by the use of such brusque language.

Conclusion: I don't have to like it, I just have to finish it. Maybe that's not your takeaway, but it's mine, and what will power me through the next few weeks, after literally years of stress, procrastination and all sorts of things I'd never recommend. Sometimes it really is the stalling, the not doing, that makes me a not writer. I am SO looking forward to moving on...there's a mall and a YA novel calling my name! (They are related, I don't just mean I want to go on a shopping spree. I want to be a mall spy in the name of young adult literature. And, okay, fun. But first, the drudge work.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home