Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Sunday, April 12, 2009

The First Amendment to the Bill of Rights

It might be a good idea to look at this if you're going to call Amazon.com out on infringing someone's "First Amendment" rights.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.


It's the same point I was making here. Just as nobody was infringing Jefferson's First Amendment right to free speech, Amazon is also not infringing anyone's right to free speech.

p.s. It's because I think that our right to free speech is so valuable - it's something that not everyone in the world has - that I rush to defend it so ardently. Our country is obviously far, far from perfect, but this is one of the things that makes it so wonderful, so important. We can protest, blog, email, speak, Twitter, whatever. We can. We do. We are. It's really important to remember that, and in my opinion, when people casually toss around the term, when they imply that their actual First Amendment rights are being infringed, they do a disservice to this actual, wonderful right that we have.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At April 12, 2009, Anonymous neve black said...

You're correct. Amazon is not infringing on first amendment rights. I didn't mean to stir things up either. I think I'm expounding/thinking/typimg out loud here b/c this is the first I've heard of this, and to be honest, it feels a little like getting punched in the gut.

I'm sure by pulling away from the "adult content" rankings puts smiley faces on some of their wide ranged customer base. To me, Amazon is like the Walmart for on-line book sales and it just urks me.

At this point, Amazon is still selling "adult content" books. No censorship issues.

I'm interested in hearing more about your thoughts on direct sales and alternative forms of publishing. I'd be very interested in getting involved. :-)

Thanks Rachel.

 
At April 14, 2009, Blogger Jefferson said...

Rachel, this is the third time you've written about my recent custody case. You've already pointed out that you don't know anything about the case. You've never interviewed me about it and you have read none of the documentation. So I'm left wondering why you continue to conjecture that free speech issues simply couldn't be relevant to this custody case. As I've commented before, the attorneys and organizations familiar with the case were very concerned the First Amendment issues involved.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home