Email: rachelkramerbussel at gmail.com



 

Lusty Lady

BLOG OF RACHEL KRAMER BUSSEL
Watch my first and favorite book trailer for Spanked: Red-Cheeked Erotica. Get Spanked in print and ebook

Friday, April 10, 2009

Cutting Up Playgirl: two covers, two subtitles

The UK cover (full title is either Cutting Up Playgirl: A Memoir of Sexual Disappointment or Cutting Up Playgirl: A Cheerful Memoir of Sexual Disappointment - I love how "cheerful" is thrown in there):



And the US cover (and UK paperback cover):



It's not out until January 2010 in the US.

The Daily Mail on the book:

Carrie Jones hasn't had sex with her husband Hal, a City banker, for the past four years. Nor does she want to. Sex is something she can no longer summon the effort to endure - with the man she married, at least.

She admits she stays in her sexless relationship for the sake of her children, aged nine and 11, and will remain celibate until the day they are grown up and she feels able to leave. At which point, she confesses, she will probably abandon her husband and begin a sexual odyssey to find the satisfaction that eludes her.

An unusual case? A sorry lack of libido? She insists not. "If I thought I was unique in my sexual disappointment I'd probably be suicidal," muses Carrie, 45, a publishing executive, who lives in North London with Hal and their children.

"I remember the first time my girlfriends and I admitted that we all felt the same about married sex as parents: we couldn't be bothered with it and felt guilty for not wanting to sleep with our husbands. It was a revelation. I remember thinking: 'Thank God! It's not just me!'


The Guardian summed it up: "...her honesty is so heartbreaking that she becomes irresistible." Also from The Guardian:

At Cambridge, by now "a little mad" with sexual frustration, when Jones finally gets to lose her virginity, "I didn't feel any desire . . ." Her description has the awful ring of familiarity about it, echoing most of the accounts I've ever heard of women losing their virginity. Many more sexual encounters follow, but with little improvement, still less a reconciliation between her private fantasies and actual experiences. "If you'd asked me, I would have said that sex was good because it was intimate, but, in truth, sometimes it made you feel further away from the other person than ever . . . It wasn't erotic, it wasn't transcendental, it certainly wasn't 'orgasmic', it was usually just sticky." In those early years, Jones is obliged to acknowledge, "the best thing about sex for me was the discovery that people wanted to sleep with me."

It's definitely on my to read list, but I'm really fascinated by this US cover.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home